History and Background
Mr A.G Wickramapala
Mr A.G.Hinni Appuhami
Mr A G Jinadasa
Mr Rathnapala Samaraweera
From a humble tea shop to one of Sri Lanka’s most recognised brands, Maliban has come a long way in just over fifty years. As difficult as it may be to believe, the epitome of Sri Lankan biscuits started off as a simple tea kiosk on First Cross Street in Colombo Fort. In 1935, its proprietor, Mr. Angunugaha Gamage Hinni Appuhamy, who hailed from Akmeemana in the Galle District, opened the Maliban Hotel at No. 62 Maliban Street. He did not know at the time that it was Sri Lankan history in the making. A little over half a century later, we see his vision dominating the biscuit industry of the entire island.
With the help of his brothers Mr. A.G. Wickramapala and Mr. A.G. Jinadase, the young entrepreneur was able to boost the business, and within six months, the demand for Maliban biscuits outstripped manufacturing capacity.
The company thereafter decided to switch on to mechanised manufacturing, and on August 4th 1954 its first mass production facility was opened. By 1963 the demand had expanded so much that the factory was moved to a more spacious location at Ratmalana, where it resides to date.
The Maliban of today is headed by Chairman Mr. A. G. Ratnapala Samaraweera, son of Mr. Hinni Appuhamy, and the torch bearer of the Maliban name. The true heirs of the Maliban tradition however, are all the Sri Lankans who have enjoyed the taste and quality that we have offered for decades and generations.